Saturday, September 29, 2012

Misha

A few days ago there was a fatal motorcycle accident adjacent to USC's campus.  Yesterday I found out the victim was someone I knew and interacted with.  Misha was from St. Petersburg and worked for Dr. Benderskii (also from St. Petersburg) in the lab that I'm currently courting for a research spot.  Misha and I weren't really close - I only met him last month.  We had talked a few times about research and about St. Petersburg.  He was a really nice and interesting guy that I was excited to get to know and to hopefully work with.  I don't have much experience with losing friends or family members and I frankly don't think I've ever felt the grief that comes with such.  This accident though affected me more than any other I can think of for some reason; perhaps it's because his life was kind of parallel to mine, or because my plans for the future sort of involved him.  Maybe it's the sudden and accidental end of a young persons life or just because I'm developing emotionally and things like this affect me now.  Whatever the reason this event has been the most acute reminder in my life that life is precious and fleeting.  Here is a link to the story:  http://dailytrojan.com/2012/09/26/student-remembered-for-his-enthusiasm-intellect/  God be with you till we meet again Misha.

2 comments:

C.J. said...

Sorry to hear about this, Shayne. Tragic story. I feel bad for his family too, having to come from Russia to deal with everything in the midst of their grief.

Lisel said...

My comment was going to be nearly identical to CJ's. So sad. My heart aches for his parents. I think it's a combination of all of the things you mentioned that make tragedy hit a little harder. I hope his family can find comfort and peace.